Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Wonderful Recliner

I've now been laid up for three full weeks. Things are better now but it has been up and down. At times I've been unable to move. I don't know what it is. While my chiropractor suspected a pulled muscle and an out-of-place rib, I'm not so sure. It sounded reasonable. But last week my left side followed my right. I don't see how I could have injured both sides in the same way, a couple of weeks apart.

The doctor that I broke down and went to thinks it is my muscles compensating for the babying of the other side. All I know is that I felt my back muscles in spasm, painfully twitching for what seemed like an eternity. After a couple of days, when I could move my arms and breathe a bit better, I got online and started researching muscle spasms.

I've started upping my intake of calcium, potassium and magnesium, and I've even taken to drinking tonic water. (And my husband is coercing me into using the prescription ibuprofen.)

This ordeal is coming to a close, I hope. But the one thing that has enabled me to get through it as well as I have is my recliner. (Not what you thought I'd say, huh?) A friend gave it to me a while back. It is big enough for me, and my original thought was that I'd cuddle, rock and nurse my kids in it. And it is great for that. But it sits higher off the ground and a higher back than most chairs. I have been unable to lay down in a bed and the chair is the only place I have been able to tolerate sitting. I don't know how I would have slept without it and its nice recline.

Even though I have thought of many ideas for posts while unable to write them, I found my mind blank. So I decided an expression of thanks for my much loved chair would be appropriate.
The beloved children in the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment