Friday, September 23, 2011

Those Last 5 Pounds (Not What You Think)

Okay, so I'm not much of a dieter. Growing up I never had to be. My metabolism worked for me and my weight didn't get to be a problem until about a year before I got pregnant with Squiggle. That's when I went on my one and only diet. Ever. (It worked until I got pregnant.)

But I've known many women who say that the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to make any progress. If you have an extra 100 pounds the weight comes off relatively easily at first. But those last five pounds...

Well, that is what cleaning is like to me. When confronted with a complete shambles, I can get a lot accomplished, rather easily, in a short amount of time. Toss the trash, put away any items that are obviously out of their already-been-designated place; it's easy. But I have a tendency to quit at that point. Why? Because what remains is those last five pounds.

The little things that I don't quite know what to do with or haven't gotten around to dealing with. A sample of belly rub. A random band-aid. Some small toy that I think might be "Transformers" related, but I'm not sure. A note from my husband that I can't bring myself to toss. Yes, these are all things I came across today on my quest to shed those last five pounds from our bedroom.

Our bedroom looks good. The best it's looked in our married life. If I were being honest, which I am, it is the best a bedroom of mine has ever looked. But there are still those "things" laying around. Little things that I tend to overlook because I don't want to think about them. But they are there. And I have decided to deal with them.

It is slow going. Sometimes I walk from one end of the house to the other to put away one thing. That's the sort of action I would never have done before. But I've come to realize that it is the exact thing I need to do in order to have any hope of achieving and maintaining a tidy house. If I allow my laziness to goad me into procrastinating until the trip is "worth it" then I will likely never make the trip. At least not until there is a big mess again. It needs to be done now, while I'm thinking about it.

While it is hard to stick to that resolve, especially being as hugely pregnant as I am, I have to. The alternative is to live in filth the rest of my days. Worse than that, I'll be taking my family with me. So clean I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment