Saturday, September 10, 2011

Impossible-to-Fail-At Peanut Butter Cookies

A friend introduced me to these cookies. Maybe it was the late hour or the homemade-ness, but I couldn't get enough. I actually ate three of them in one evening.

Maybe this is no big deal to you. Maybe you can tolerate eating a whole batch of cookies and still have room for ice cream. I, on the other hand, cannot consume too much sugar in a short amount of time without getting sick. Being aware of this quirk of mine, I rarely overindulge. I also am fairly picky about sweets. Since I don't have much of a sweet tooth, if I'm going to eat empty calories they better be darn good.

These were.

She said the recipe was foolproof. I decided to test that claim. The recipe is simple. So simple that I didn't even write it down. Until now, that is. (Hold on while I check my cookies.) Mix one cup of sugar, one cup of peanut butter and one egg. Bake at 350 degrees.
My supplies, assembled.

Simple, right? Apparently they are impossible to over or under cook. They are always crunchy. Even though I usually prefer soft cookies, I still decided to give them a shot.

So since I am actually making these as I write this post, I have no idea how they'll turn out. I added chopped peanuts and chocolate chips to the mix. (Not my idea, my friend had them in hers and I really liked them. Plus, I like nuts in cookies.)  Because I am taking them to a pot luck I decided to double the recipe. Here it is.

2 c. peanut butter (I used natural creamy)
2 c. sugar (although I'd like something else if anyone knows of a healthier substitute)
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped peanuts
1/2 + c. chocolate (I threw some extra in at the last minute without measuring)

I tried using my hand mixer to mix the first three ingredients. While it worked, it wasn't easy. Next time I will probably use my standing mixer or just do it by hand. Then I used a wooden spoon to ad the chocolate and nuts.
The dough with my precise measuring equipment.

My impression of the dough is that it was dry and crumbly. Not knowing what the texture is supposed to be, I decided to try baking a batch and see how it worked. After rolling them into a ball and slightly flattening them, I baked them in my wonderful toaster oven for ten minutes.

So they were good. In my husband words, "A bit grainy and doughy, but I like that." Just in case they could be improved I experimented with the second batch. I added approximately 2 tablespoons of water and mixed. It came out more moist than I expected. I guess a little water goes a long way. Mental note made. The dough ended up very sticky. I increased the baking time to 15 minutes. They were still good, but I think the first batch was better.
The difference between my first and second batch.

The folks at the potluck seemed to like them but we did have some to take home. So I don't know. I liked them and will be making them again. I guess if any of you make them you can let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment