Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gratituesday, Huh?

So things have been kind of crummy lately. Shoes have been dropping and threatening to drop all over the place. Many, many opportunities to worry. And I do so like to worry.

I think I'm a bit superstitious about it. Maybe if I worry enough then the bad things won't happen. At least I'll be prepared if/when things go wrong. Right?

Not exactly. All I do is make myself miserable in the present. A better solution would be to just deal with the problems as they happen. That's not to say that I should ignore things if I see bad news on the horizon. But I could prepare without worrying about it. I should prepare without worrying. But that's a bit off topic.

I was talking about gratitude. Or at least I was getting around to it. You see, I have been having a lot of negative emotions lately. Worry, fear, anger; these things have been preying on my mind. Piling on top of each other. So when I stumbled across a blog hop about gratitude, I initially decided to pass it by.

Then I changed my mind. I decided that gratitude is just what I need. Gratitude is incompatible with these other things. To be grateful one must acknowledge the good things in life. And there is almost always something good in life, even if it doesn't seem like it. The trick is to see it. Then give thanks for it.

I have many things to be grateful for. My wonderful husband and daughter. The new baby currently wriggling around in my belly. We have a house that we are turning into a home. A neighborhood that we feel safe enough to go for family walks around after dark. We are able to cover our hard expenses, even when it is difficult. We have friends and family who care about us. The list does go on.

But I think I've gotten the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment