Monday, July 11, 2011

Origin of "Squiggle"

One of the few newborn photos not blurred by movement.
As I sit here I can feel my baby wiggling inside my belly. This baby has not earned a nickname yet. By this point in my previous pregnancy Squiggle had already received hers. We chose not to find out if we were having a boy or girl. So we could not cal our baby by his/her name. We usually referred to "the baby" in discussion.

However she definitely made her presence known. She rarely stopped moving. I always felt kicks, jabs, somersaults, acrobatics, ballet, etc. I loved it. I adored watching my abdomen move on its own, shifting one way, then the other. I thought it was neat the way a bulge would appear on one side and trace a path across my stomach.

So I remarked to my husband that the baby was always squiggling. I liked the word so much that I used it a few more times. One day he turned to me and said, "I think we have a nickname for "the baby." And so we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment