Saturday, July 30, 2011

Exhaustion

It is no secret that in the third trimester sleep declines. The quality and the quantity. Back pain, heartburn, bathroom breaks, the list goes on. All these things interfere with restful, restorative sleep.
I wonder why sleep would be elusive.

So far I've been okay. I've had a bit of decline in quality, but I've never been a good sleeper. And I am blessed with a husband who lets me sleep when I can. He's really picked up a lot of my slack and I appreciate it.

But certain days it is worse. I've had a few bad nights. I've had a few early mornings. And I've had a few long days. Today, however, has been especially hard for me as it combined all three. I didn't sleep well last night. there just didn't see to be any comfy positions available. Then I woke up in the early morning and just couldn't get back to sleep. I finally got back to sleep about an hour before my husband came in to wake me for the day. (He gets up automatically, eliminating the need for an alarm clock. It's very convenient.)

I had put in my wake-up call for earlier than my normal time to get up. My Bountiful Baskets pick-up is just before my body wants to be awake. But it is so close that I choose to rise earlier rather than have to drive farther.

Then I filled in for a friend at a Baby Shower for military wives. That took all afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it. But it was right over potential nap time. I stifled more than one yawn, especially during the never-ending speechifying.

The rest of the day I'm taking it easy. This is my second day of sleep deprivation, and I'm definitely feeling the effects. So forgive me if this post is less than coherent. My higher functions have shut down.
What is this "sleep" you're referring to?

The real effect this has had, though, is to remind me that, come October, this will be my natural state for a while. With Squiggle, I was a zombie for a good 6 months. No that wasn't when she started sleeping through the night, that was just when she started to sleep, instead of screaming herself into passing out. I never got more than 3 hours sleep in a row with her and I truly hope that this time is better. But even if I have a typical experience, exhaustion will be the buzz word for a while. Newborns wake up a lot. That means as a breastfeeding mom, I will be waking up as well. Unless I can teach my husband how to latch the baby on to me while I sleep.

But I'm pretty sure that's just me dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment